In the course of cataloging it is often necessary to move an order record from one bibliographic record to another.
Sometimes this happens because, at the time the order was placed, the order record was not orginally attached (for various legitimate reasons) to the existing cataloged record. Instead, for example, the order may be attached to an uncataloged bibliographic record (what is sometimes called an “order-level bib”), or it may be attached to an “order-level bib” which migrated from GLADIS with a catalog date, or it could be attached to a different edition of the title. There are many different circumstances. What remains the same is the need to transfer an order record from one bibliographic record to another. If there are holds on the item or bib, please send an email to holds@lists to have the holds resolved. You should continue with the transfer without waiting for the holds to be resolved (in some circumstances the patron will receive a notice telling them to look in Oskicat and it will be better for the patron if the transfer has already taken place at that time).
In the example below, the second record in the list is the full record, 3 and 4 are migrated GLADIS brief records with attached order records. Bib records #3 & 4 are not needed – but the order records are. These must be transferred to the 2nd record in the list.
Below is record 3 from the list. The Gladis No. and “Ordered for” call numbers show that the record migrated from GLADIS.
To transfer the order record from this record to the correct record:
- Open the record you want to transfer from.
- In the Summary display, check the box next to the order record(s) you want to transfer.
- Click on the Edit menu, click Transfer Attached, click Find Bib
- Search for the bibliographic record you want to transfer to.
- Open this record.
- Click on the Summary tab.
- Click on the Use Bib button.
- The bibliographic record you are transferring from is now open and the checked order record(s) you want to transfer are displayed. The prompt reads “Transfer selected records, RETAIN source bib”.
- Click OK.
- To complete the process, the bibliographic record(s) that is/are no longer needed must not have any other records attached to it, and the Bib record must be marked for deletion. In the example above, the item records would need to be moved or deleted (depending upon the situation) and the “ev” order record would also need to be transferred to the correct record. Once this is done, the bib record that is no longer needed can be marked for deletion.
NOTE: If the bib record that originally held the order record (the record you transferred from) is still needed (e.g. it is a record for a different work which the Library continues to hold), then of course it should not be marked for deletion. Skip to the last step.
- To mark for deletion, please follow the directions in Deletion: Bibliographic Record as found on AskTico.
- Check your work: the correct bibliographic record (the one you transferred to) should have the order record(s) you transferred.
Author: Matthew Prutsman
Approval Group: BTech, Cataloging and Metadata Council
Update Group: Cataloging & Metadata Council
Last updated date: 03/06/13
Wed, 02/23/2011 – 09:44 — Randal Brandt
Corrected formatting on the “Use Bib” instruction, Looks great!
Thu, 02/16/2012 – 10:33 — Charis Takaro
Added information about holds@lists