Listed below are the identifying characteristics of bibliographic records in OskiCat that are received via SCP, the Shared Cataloging Program of the California Digital Library (CDL). SCP provides bibliographic records to all UC campuses for online electronic resources that are licensed or managed through CDL—including Tier 1, Tier 2, and free/open access titles.
Please note that for serials only, SCP historically distributed the print version record from OCLC when available, even though they catalog only electronic resources. While this policy ended in April 2019—SCP now uses the online version record for all new cataloging and maintenance for all formats—there are still many print version serial records from SCP in OskiCat, and this will continue to be the case until further notice.
- at least one 956 containing SCP (among other data) in |b
- 956 20140422|bSCP Monographs 20140421
- 956 20130423|bSCP Serials 20130422
- at least one 856 or 959 with first indicator 9 and subfield |9
- 856 90 |zHarvard University Press. Restricted to UCB, UCD, UCLA, UCM, and UCSD|uhttp://dx.doi.org/10.4159/harvard.9780674726147|940
- 959 91 |3v.1(1987)- [Latest 7 years not available online].|zJSTOR. Restricted to UCB, UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCM, UCR, UCSB, UCSC, and UCSD|uhttp://openurl.cdlib.org/?sid=SCP:SCP&genre=article&__char_set=utf8&issn=1013-0950|941
- at least one 793 (“hook”) for the package or provider name
- 793 0 Harvard University Press online monographs
- 793 0 JSTOR online journals.|gm
- 911 for Tier 1 (all SCP records are coded as Tier 1 upon loading to OskiCat)
- 911 Tier 1
- (may not always be present) 599 containing a code for the action (new or update) and the date (YYMMDD) of the latest SCP distribution of that record
- 599 UPD|bscp|c150312
- 599 UPD|bcov|c131001
Please note: the following field means the bib record is NOT from SCP anymore: 955 Pre-RECON SCP Serial
In the event of any uncertainty as to whether an OskiCat record is provided by SCP, you can confirm this by searching for the record in OCLC Connexion Client and viewing holdings (View menu – Holdings – All, or Ctrl-Shift-A); a record with the holdings symbol cuyer is an SCP record.
Guidelines for working with SCP records
- NEVER overlay or make any edits—except to protected fields—to SCP bibliographic records in OskiCat. If you discover errors or needed updates in an SCP record, you must report the problem to BadCat. If you do not do this, and just edit or overlay the OskiCat record yourself, your edits are subject to being wiped out whenever SCP distributes a new version of the bib (which occurs without notice); this may happen even if your edits are present in the OCLC master record. If you accidentally overlay an SCP record, immediately report the situation to BadCat.
- Print resources and SCP records:
- Monographs: NEVER attach print items to an SCP record; SCP distributes only online version records for monographs. Instead, use the correct print version record.
- Serials: If the SCP record is a print version record, use that SCP record for ALL print holdings in OskiCat. If there are duplicate copies of the record in OskiCat, or any brief/undesirable (e.g. c-level) records for the title, transfer print holdings to the SCP record and mark all duplicate or otherwise unwanted bib records for deletion (note: if you are not authorized to do this—e.g. for another unit’s holdings—report the problem to BadCat).
- Online resources and SCP records: All online holdings of the same resource (e.g. same edition/version, same original publisher, etc.) must use the SCP record—if there is one—for that resource (current exceptions: HathiTrust records, Marcive records (for online government documents)). If there are duplicate records in OskiCat, or any brief/undesirable records for the title, report the situation to e-problem.
Any discrepancies, ambiguities, or other questions may be addressed to the campus SCP cataloging liaison.
Author: Trina Pundurs
Approval Group: Cataloging and Metadata Council
Update Group: Cataloging & Metadata Council
Last updated date: 02/11/16
Added note on 955
Thu, 02/11/2016 – 13:41 — Trina Pundurs
Added a note on the evidently misleading 955 field.