The “Refer for Replacement” procedures begin here.
On a regular schedule, missing or lost items normally shelved at the Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF) will be listed, reviewed and replaced as necessary. The persistence and non-duplication policies of the regional library facilities (RLFs) dictate the need for special procedures when handling replacements for persistent (i.e., non-restricted and non-duplicative) items shelved at NRLF. The first decision point for NRLF items, therefore, is to segregate persistent from non-persistent items since they will follow different workflows.
- On a semi-annual basis (December and June), Library Systems, on behalf of NRLF and for the benefit of all UCs, will run four reports and send them to the NRLF RFR Contact:
- Missing/lost, restricted status, all UC campuses.
- Missing/lost, non-restricted status, non-UCB
- Missing/lost, non-restricted status, UCB (in spreadsheet form)
- A report of duplicates at any UC (based on OCLC number) for lists b and c.
- For UCB, the NRLF RFR Contact will research the items on list c) above, and identify any items that already have an equivalent copy available at NRLF or SRLF (including WEST archives at NRLF/SRLF). NRLF will make a note on the spreadsheet to this effect.
- The NRLF RFR Contact will make the annotated copy of the spreadsheet available for update. The NRLF Coordinator will contact the UCB Review Coordinator who will begin work on items still to be replaced. (Target date: 1/2-1 months after the list is created)
- The UCB Review Coordinator will seek possible replacements among UCB’s collections.
- If a duplicate has location MAIN or MOFFITT, the UCB Review Coordinator will speak with the Doe/Moffitt Selector. If the Selector agrees to make this copy a persistent deposit to NRLF, the UCB Review Coordinator will send a confirming email to the selector and the Gardner Stack Manager. The Stack Manager will pull the book from the shelves, insert a replacement flag (See AskTico “Flags & Forms”, then “Persistence Replacement Request Form”), and send it via Library Mail to the attention of the NRLF RFR Contact.
- If a duplicate is found in a subject specialty library, the UCB Review Coordinator will speak with the Unit Head. If the Unit Head agrees to make this copy a persistent deposit to NRLF, the Unit Head will direct unit staff to insert a replacement flag (See AskTico “Flags & Forms”, then “Persistence Replacement Request Form”) and send it via Library Mail to NRLF, to the attention of the NRLF RFR Contact.
- If a copy is shelved on campus, but the Selector does not want the item to be sent to NRLF, the Selector can purchase a replacement copy to be sent to NRLF.
The UCB Review Coordinator will annotate the spreadsheet for these agreements.
- For remaining items, the UCB Review Coordinator will send requests to the Collection Development Officers at other UCs asking if they will deposit their item in their local RLF as a persistent item. In cases where another campus agrees to deposit their copy, the UCB Review Coordinator will annotate the spreadsheet for this agreement.
- For remaining items, the UCB Review Coordinator will see if a duplicate exists at Hathi Trust. If so, the UCB Review Coordinator will ask the selector to decide if the digital copy is an adequate replacement. If so, The UCB Review Coordinator will annotate the spreadsheet.
- If a replacement still needs to be found, the UCB Review Coordinator will send the annotated spreadsheet to UCB’s Acquisitions Contact. (Target date: 3 months after the list was run).
- The Acquisitions Contact will:
- follow normal replacement procedures in an attempt to find a replacement, Acquisitions Replacement Orders Results could include “order placed with a vendor” or “photocopy/film replacement” or “cannot be filled”,
- annotate the order record whenever an order is placed (for use by Receiving and Cataloging when the order is fulfilled),
- post results to the spreadsheet, and
- notify both the Berkeley Review Coordinator and the NRLF RFR Contact that all Acquisitions work is completed on this batch of items (Target date: 5 months after the list was run).
- The UCB Review Coordinator will notify selectors of items that could not be replaced.
- The NRLF RFR Contact will:
- deaccession the NRLF record
- withdraw the campus record
- keep statistics based on the annotated spreadsheet
(Target date: before the next semi-annual list is run)
- If the replacement is a newly acquired physical item, Receiving/Cataloging will:
- insert a Replacement flag into the item (See AskTico “Flags & Forms”, then “Persistence Replacement Request Form”)
- process/catalog and mark item
- send it via Library Mail to NRLF, to the attention of the NRLF RFR Coordinator.
Appendix 1: Contacts
If UCB selectors have questions about this process or about specific items being handled through this process, they should contact the UCB Review Coordinator (Gail Ford).
– Systems Contact: Charis Takaro
– NRLF RFR Contact: Jutta Wiemhoff
– Berkeley Review Coordinator: Gail Ford
– Berkeley Acquisitions Contact: Jim Gordon
– Berkeley Selector notification: Gail Ford
– Gardner Stack Manager: Paul Lynch
Approval Group: PSC, Collections Council
Update Group: Collection Services Council
Last updated date: 01/31/13
Thu, 01/31/2013 – 17:43 — Trina Lopez
I tidied up some punctuation issues, and took the mock-up of the replacement flag information out (Appendix 2), and refered the document user to the flag under the AskTico “Flags & Forms” heading.