This guide is broken up into mini-lessons. The first one is the longest at 9 pages.
The rest are typically a few pages long, covering a single subject.
The typical lesson should take about ten minutes to complete, including interaction with the live system.
A good practice will be to open the Create List module on the Training server, read over the lesson, then try out the ideas of the lesson on the system.
Any feedback to improve the content of this guide would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse the small issues (extra white space, punctuation, and dead links). PDFs are difficult to edit!
NOTE: Naming Convention required for Lists
Start the list title with a date no more than two months from now, after which your list may be deleted.
EXAMPLE: “07-30 Circulation Bib Records”
Please save your search if you wish to revisit a list beyond two months and recreate the list as needed. If you only need the list for a week, put in the date one week from now. This will help keep the maximum number of lists free for all to use.
Please contact the Systems Office if you have special needs to keep a specific list beyond two months.
- Create List Overview
- Creating a New Review File
- Specifying Search Criteria
- Setting a Range for a Search
- Create a Search String
- Choose a Boolean Condition
- Specifying Additional Search Terms
- Use Existing Search
- Retrieve Saved Query
- Saving the Current Search Strategy
- Controlling Your Search
- Show Records in a Review File
- Adding an Individual Record
- Removing Records from a Review File
- Removing Duplicate Records from a Review File
- Appending Records to a Review File
- Merging Review Files
- Copying a Review File
- Emptying a Review File
- Renaming a Review File
- Show Info
- Saving Searches
- Reviewing Saved Searches
- Editing Saved Searches
- Deleting Saved Searches
- Sorting Records in a Review File
- Deleting Sort Criteria
- Listing the Records in a Review File
- Exporting the Records in a Review File
- The Law of One Hop
- Advanced Keyword Searches
- Examples Searching by Advanced Keyword Syntax
- Boolean Conditions
- Specifying a Condition Exist or Not Exist
- Specifying Data by MARC Tag
We’d like to thank Stephanie Zimmerman and the staff of the Library System of Lancaster County (Lancaster, PA) for creating this invaluable training guide.
Last updated date: 07/23/14
Author: Jim Lake