Last CMC review/update 20180417
Skip to Procedure
Note: This procedure applies to all Bancroft Manuscript Collections, including University Archives and the Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life. It does not apply to Pictorial Collections.
Manuscript collections are often shipped to NRLF for deposit in pieces. That is, not all of the cartons and/or boxes are necessarily sent simultaneously. NRLF procedures call for NRLF staff to create a new holdings record when they only receive part of a set or collection. In cases where the entire collection will be sent to NRLF, this procedure results in NRLF unnecessarily creating duplicate holdings records for manuscript collections.
Per a decision made in May 2010 with Ginny Moon (NRLF) and Bancroft Public Services (BPS) staff, Bancroft Technical Services (BTS) staff will follow these procedures for holdings and item records for new manuscript collections and additions to existing collections being deposited at NRLF.
- Create a bibliographic record with accurate extent (300) statement.
- Create a holdings record with the Call Number (099) and Library Has (866) statement.
- Add a Misc Internal Note to the holdings record indicating that all of the items represented in the extent statement (300) in the bibliographic record and in the Library Has (866) note in the holdings record are queued for NRLF deposit.
- Example: 20120928 box 1-37, carton 1 queued for storage, tbtm
- Add a PD Other Note to the holdings record indicating that the items that are in process for NRLF. Note: Even though this note is no longer required by the instructions in Storage Editing Requirements it is still considered a best practice for Bancroft manuscript collections.
- Example: Box 1-37, carton 1 in process for NRLF. For access to these volumes, inquire at desk.
- Do not create any item records; it is easier for NRLF staff to create them in batch mode when they accession the new deposits.
- Create a separate holdings record with Call Number and Library Has statement for any portion of the collection that is known to be staying on-site at Bancroft (e.g., oversize folders).
- When materials are accessioned at NRLF, NRLF deposit services staff will:
- create the needed item records
- link the item records to the existing holdings record
- update the Library Has statement to reflect the actual items deposited
- delete the Misc Internal Note and PD Other Note when all indicated items are received for deposit
New additions to deposited collections
- Update the bibliographic record to reflect the new extent (300)
- Create item records, with barcodes, for the added items
- NRLF staff will link the items to the appropriate holdings record and update the Library Has statement when they accession the new deposits
Author: Randal Brandt
Approval Group: ILSSC
Last updated date: 02/06/13
Updated PD Other Note instruction
Wed, 02/06/2013 – 14:50 — Randal Brandt
The instructions for adding a PD Other Note has been updated; necessitated by the change in the Storage Editing Requirements.
Bancroft local procedure
Fri, 09/28/2012 – 16:44 — Randal Brandt
This is a Bancroft local procedure originally developed in 2010 in conjunction with NRLF staff. NRLF should review to make sure it is satisfactory to their workflows.
NRLF has reviewed the
Thu, 10/04/2012 – 17:20 — slmiller
NRLF has reviewed the document and verified that the Bancroft procedure is consistent with our workflow and processes.